Monday, March 10, 2014

It all started with a name

Inspiration?  I wonder how many authors begin their novels with the title.  I wonder if you start with the title that tells the world something about your personality.  Perhaps you are the creative mind, never being able to finish anything, but always dreaming up the next great idea.  Before you finish your creation, you have a new title ready for the next one.

Amid?  Yeah, how about during the process?  Maybe you are a person whose mind that methodical, rhythmic.  You march to a steady drum.  You commit to a project and somewhere during the process you exclaim, “I think I should call this... but I am not sure...I need to think about it some more...”

Perfection?  Maybe when you are complete?  After all is said and done, written, complete, every “i” is dotted and “t” is crossed, you name your project.  “It shall be called ______.”  It was.  And it was good. 

My inspiration for SHOOT A MONKEE came from my sister-in-law.  Instead of the “S” four-letter word she uses the expression, “Well, shoot a monkey!”  I must admit I’d never heard it until I joined the Edwards family.

As a photo organizer and one who loves to help others achieve control over their photo chaos, I offer advice, toppled with that expression.  “Gather your photos all together in one place.”  (They do that: from frames and boxes under the bed and old suitcases and from drawers and nightstands and all over the house.)  When I arrive and see one room full of photos I then exclaim, “Well, shoot a monk-ey!”  

Another inspiration for me (you might guess that I was the very first example given) were my 12 granddarlings, a/k/a the little Monkeys.   Their existence, coupled with the word “shoot” (which is sometimes used when taking a photograph and I do a LOT of that) the expression is deemed, “Shoot a Monkey!”

Lastly, the spelling of the name.  The domain name Shoot a Monkey! was already taken.  So I compromised with more emphasis on the last syllable which makes it easier to remember (hopefully). 

Thus the name of the venture you are taking by this following.

And these are my little “Monkees”.





(Content used is Lettering Delights’ Knit Wits.  Don’t ya just love em?)

No comments:

Post a Comment