Friday, September 16, 2016

SUMMER IN THE MOUNTAINS NOT THE BEACH

I really must be getting old.  I never thought I’d ever be saying this… but it is too hot for the beach in the summertime.  It is nice to be 20 degrees cooler when the City is about 100 degrees... so we head for the hills!

I remember visiting mountain destinations as a child.  Maggie Valley (Ghost Town in the Sky) and Cherokee, N.C. were two destinations my parents enjoyed with friends of the family.  As I recall, we would drive straight through to get to cooler climates. 

Hubs really likes to do the hiking.  The hikes are more and more challenging each year for me.  This year’s mountain visit holds the records for NO Hikes taken.   By me.   I had all sorts of excuses.  “Looks like rain!”  “The trails are really slippery.”  “Ah, Man!  That trail that I wanted to do last time washed away in the heavy rainfall they had last year and they have closed it off!”  This year the Hubs ventured out on a short hike on his own, claims he got lost and I was frantic!  (I think he just wanted to be away from me.  He always did like to commune with nature.)

We do spend some time in the car driving to scenic viewpoints that will take your breath away. We love to get the breezes that go along with that scenery even if you can’t (won’t) do the hiking anymore.

Retro Signs excite me!
The Blue Ridge Parkway is our favorite destination and is a great source of scenery.  We discovered it a few years back, tasting a little bit during a jaunt with our friends who have a second home in smalltown, Virginia.  We both agreed we’d like to see more of it.  We first planned a trip in April and May, thinking we’d get to see lots of spring flowers.  

It was too early for spring.  Spring happens more like May and June.  We started in Cherokee, N.C. and journeyed all the way to the Shenandoah Parkway in Virginia to extend our scenic views.  On the Shenandoah Parkway we got to experience snowfall; or I should say “snowfell.”  There was about 2 inches of snow on the ground but the roads were clear.  It had snowed a few days prior to our arrival.  But the skies were crystal clear and blue.  I understand why Mountain Men will never give up Mountain Women.

A few years following, and every now and again, we long to taste the mountain air and so we plan a couple of weeks on the parkway, exploring sections we’ve not yet seen.  One of our favorite places to go is Mt. Pisgah Inn in North Carolina.  It is the only inn actually on the parkway in North Carolina.
  
Mt. Pisgah - The Peak of the Parkway

The Blue Ridge Parkway is an untouched gem in the south that I hope (and pray) will be preserved by the National Park Service for many generations to follow.  And I just pray my grandchildren will be able to enjoy the views and the cool air away from the Cities (from wherever they hail) that their Granddad and I have enjoyed so, so much!




No comments:

Post a Comment