Monday, September 22, 2014

Overcome with Nostalgia

Life is a trip, ain't it?  The older I get, the more nostalgic I seem to become.  Somehow I spend time wishing I could "undo" some things in my life and "redo" them once again.

If I could have been a better wife before it was too late!  If only I had been a more patient and soft-spoken mother...  the kind I have come to admire.  If only...

Then things happen and I wake up and realize that the life I remember is no longer apt to be changed.  I must accept things as they are and as they were.  And that, my friend, is when the nostalgia enters and I long for those days once again... If I could only just to be there...

Example.  I'm doing the household dusting and as I polish the piano, I find the autograph of my young son that I had forgotten was there.  Suddenly I think of him, the man now, and as a young boy with a look that could melt my heart no matter what he did.  (No other man has had that power over me.)  I realize this... sit down on the floor and have a nice little cry as I think of how I must have scolded him so for this!  I realize what a gift it is to me right now, this day.

What then?  I pull out the family albums (yes, this is why I can't seem to get any housework done!) and re-live those memories all over in my mind and my heart.  I really did have a wonderful season of motherhood, didn't I?   Yes.  I have wonderful, wonderful children and I give all the credit to their father for being the strong one because certainly it wasn't ME who was strong!

I am grateful for the family albums I have.  Whatever it was that possessed me to make these things... I wish I had more of.  I was driven until I finished adding and journaling all the old photos.

Now I know why.  To get me through days like this.

If you look closely, you can see the precious autograph.  

No comments:

Post a Comment