Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Gotta live with them. Can’t live without ‘em.

It’s my birthday.

Birthdays.  Gotta live with them.  Can’t live without ‘em.

Ever wonder what actually went down on YOUR own birthday?  I wonder that a lot.  I know that my Mama was really, really large.  She told me me that at one point she thought she was having twins.  (I was number five; I could have been number five and six).

I know that I was born in a little beach town.  The hospital was small and a white frame building that was used for a nursing home after it was a hospital... and now it doesn’t exist.

I know that when I was born the doctor had a peek and loudly exclaimed, “Oh, s*@t!  Another girl!!”  (He knew my daddy wanted sons.)

I know that at the first glimpse of me through the hospital window my (youngest) oldest sister blew me a raspberry.  She also insisted that my name be the same as her doll’s;  my eldest sister, lost out on her bid for my name.  

If only I had more details!  When did labor start and how quickly did my mother get to the hospital?  How fast did my Daddy drive?  Did her water break?  Was it an easy birth?  Was she happy to meet me or just relieved it was over?  Did she have any extraordinary out-of-body experiences? 

I remember asking her for the details once and she said she didn’t remember much about the day.  I mean, why did I have to ask?  Why hadn’t she been telling me all these years on the anniversaries of my birth??

I just can't understand it.  I love to tell my children the stories of their births.  These were by far the most important days of my life!  I realize that as adults they can’t stand it, but at least they know every little detail... no matter how stupid it may seem.  Every birthday gives me a reason to recall the story.  And the right.

As a mother, you don’t have many rights but in my book this is one of them.

And PICTURES?  What about those?  There are none of me.  I know back in the 50’s cameras were NOT like opinions (you know... everybody’s got one).  I realize that it was quite expensive to own a camera and purchase and process film.  But not even one picture of the new tiny blessing?

Ha. Ha.

Today a film crew is called in for every aspect of a birth.  Even before the birth and at the “revelation” of the gender of the child! Aren’t today’s newborns so fortunate?  Babies are documented (daily) on Facebook, by e-mail and have their own pages or addresses before birth!  It is SO amazing to see what technology can be used for.  In this case it is building the child’s self esteem and confidence.  

Which leads me back to the original question... I just wonder what went down on my actual birthday.  

Hey, maybe that’s what’s wrong with me, my self-esteem and confidence.  

If you know your story, let me hear it.  I love a good story.


No comments:

Post a Comment