Friday, June 13, 2014

Cheese! It's a new granddude!

This past Friday night while in Amsterdam I got a text from my overly expectant only daughter.

Well we r headed to the hospital.  This was Friday morning around 9:20.  (Amsterdam is 6 hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Savings time).   

Hubs and I had spent the morning at the Alkmaar Cheese Market near Amsterdam and we’d been up and out starting very early to make the opening ceremony, being overwhelmed with the whole cheese-buying/selling processes.  

Still in cheese mode I found myself thinking… Cheese!  Today my Granddude will be born!

I texted, Will today be his birthday??

We continued to text back and forth.  Mom and dad-to-be kept me up to date with what was transpiring.    That is until it was getting more exciting there.

There was a two and a half-hour-delay and it was 1:39 a.m. Amsterdam time.  I was trying to keep busy to not think and worry, but it was very hard.  

I got the text… Pushed for 10 minutes, 3-4 times :) He’s got the dimple.

He was really here.  I was not there.  I had missed it by 4700 miles. 

I got the vitals from Facebook when Dad posted the picture and details.  

I was so excited.  I could finally go to sleep!  I was shocked back to reality; the jet lag was taking over and my body was screaming for rest!

As I tried to sleep I realized that noise was rising to our open windows from the street below us.  There indeed was a party, typical of a Friday night in Amsterdam (or any large city for that matter!)  Yes, let them party!  We had something to celebrate!

We finally had our John Matthew.  







No comments:

Post a Comment